Saturday, January 10, 2015



The Cure

Cold and Wet
Warmth is just a bottle away
Scared and hungry
Courage is just a pipe away
Aching and alone
Painlessness just a pill away
Tired, oh so tired
Sleep is just a needle away





There he goes
Our little man
A face full of dimples
And eyes of the sea
Hi hair, jet
The black of a raven’s wing
Chubby little toes and fingers
Always searching for
The next “thing”
Curious and bold,
Easy to laugh
He dares you
Not to fall in love with him
As he toddles away

There he goes
Our big boy
Still those eyes, only
Now eyes more aware
Of life that moves forward
Without him
He’s all legs and long arms
In jerseys and cleats
Football games
And basketball practice
Friends and girlfriends
Are what matter most
He dares you
Not to reminisce
As he walks away

There he goes
This grown human
Off to another day
Money to be made
And papers to write
He’s all brain and responsibility
He no longer laughs
Quite so easily
A breathtaking sound indeed
Blue eyes focused
On what is yet to come
New adventures
A new life, future wife
With a truck full of memories
He dares you
Not to miss him
As he drives away



The Elements of Me

You are earth
the rock that I lean on
the ground beneath my feet
steadying me, grounding me
keep me sure and steadfast
allowing me to crash
on something strong, familiar
standing beside me always

You are air
the breeze that lifts me
the wind that carries me
to far away places
you lift my spirits
allowing me to fly
with the world below me
flying beside me always

You are water
the swells that rock me
the waves that bury me
drag me from my rocky shores
fluid and adaptable
allowing me to float
weightless and gentle
floating beside me always

You are fire
the flames that burn
the heat that consumes
scorching my skin, my eyes
the demons within my soul
allowing me to blaze bright
no fear of extinction
blazing beside me always

You are the elements of me
carry the ashes of me
on the wind
douse them with water
send me back to the earth
You are earth, air, 
water, fire
the elements of me





No comments:

Post a Comment